- Who has access to the building?
- Is there a safety statement and can you view it?
- Is food prepared on the premises?
- Transport: Is there a school drop off/collection service in place? Does the vehicle have seatbelts and /or booster seats as appropriate? Is the vehicle appropriately insured with driver and qualified staff member?
- Child Protection: Is there a Child Safeguarding Statement in place? Is there a procedure for reporting child protection concerns? Have staff attended child protection training and hold up-to-date certification? Is there a Designated Liaison Person and Deputy Designated Liaison Person? Have all staff been Garda Vetted and references checked?
- The National Child Safeguarding Programme; Early Learning and Care Committee have developed an information leaflet for parents to outline what parents can expect in relation to Child Safeguarding from Early Learning and Care services, it is available in English and Irish and can be downloaded below:
Information leaflet for Parents on Children First in Early Learning and Care Services (English)
Information leaflet for Parents on Children First in Early Learning and Care Services (Irish)
- Drop off and Collection policy: Who can collect the child? What measures are in place to ensure only those authorised to collect the child have access to your child? Are passwords or ID required? Are there late collection penalties?
- Illness and Exclusion policy: What is the setting’s illness policy and their policy around the administration of medication? What are the exclusion periods for illnesses? What happens if my child falls ill on the premises? If my child has specific medical needs, how will they be accommodated? Is there changes to the illness and exclusion policies due to COVID-19? What is the new procedure for a suspected/confirmed case of COVID-19 within the setting?
- Accident/incident/ emergency care: What procedures are in place in the event of a medical emergency? At what stage of an emergency will you be contacted? How are you informed of any incidents/ accidents relating to your child?
- Outings:Are the children taken on outings? How frequent are the outings? What is the adult to child ratios while off the premises? Are these outings covered by insurance? Ask to see the Outings Policy?
- Healthy eating policy: Do parents supply food or does the service provide food? Are there sample menus available to view? Can the service cater for specific dietary requirements that your child may have? What are the meal times? What happens if your child doesn’t eat their dinner? What types of drinks are permitted in the service? Is water available throughout the day?
- Is the service registered with Tusla? A list of registered services can be found on Tusla’s website